斯坦福公开课

  11:15How many of you all have ever had a one hour lay over?

  你们当中有多少人有过一个小时的休息时间?

  So during this one hour layover, it's hard to sit down and get a formal mail.

  所以在这一个小时的中转时间里,很难坐下来拿一封正式的邮件。

  It's hard to pull out your computer to doing work.

  很难拿出电脑来工作。

  It's hard to take a nap.

  很难睡午觉。

  So what do most people turn to?

  那么大多数人转向什么呢?

  Social media.

  社交媒体。

  So this is exactly what Justine did during her lay over from London to South Africa.

  所以这正是贾斯汀在从伦敦到南非逗留期间所做的。

  She turned to social media to entertain he.

  她转向社交媒体来取悦他。

  First, she tweeted about the guy in first class who decided not to worry a deodorant.

  首先,她在推特上说头等舱的那个人决定不担心除臭剂。

  Highlighting they do not have enough money to buy deodorant, she got no responses.

  强调他们没有足够的钱购买除臭剂,她没有得到任何回应。

  Next, she tweeted about the cucumber sandwich and how cold it was for her sensitive teeth, no responses.

  接下来,她在推特上发布了黄瓜三明治以及对她敏感的牙齿来说有多冷,但没有任何回应。

  So she took to social media one more time.

  所以她又一次上了社交媒体。

  With her 170 followers, she tweeted "Going to Africa, hope I don't get AIDS. Just kidding, I'm white." She had 30 minutes left of her lay over, she sporadically chat and no responses.

  她拥有 170 名粉丝, 她在推特上写道:“去非洲, 希望我不会感染艾滋病。 开个玩笑,我是白人。 ”她的休息时间还剩 30 分钟, 她偶尔会聊天, 但没有任何回应。

  She wasn't too surprised given the fact that she only had 170 followers.

  鉴于她只有 170 名粉丝,她并不太惊讶。

  She boarded her plane for her 11 hour flight to South Africa.

  她登上了飞往南非的 11 个小时的航班。

  And when she landed, things were drastically different.

  当她着陆时,情况就大不相同了。

  She landed to people tweeting about the fact that, this would be bad when she lands.

  她着陆给人们发推文说,当她着陆时这会很糟糕。

  She landed to people tweeting about, you're getting fired.

  她登陆到人们推特上,你被解雇了。

  She landed to people tweeting even companies about using this as marketing materials.

  她吸引了人们甚至在推特上发布有关将其用作营销材料的公司。

  Next time, you get on a plane, make sure that you have Gogo Wi-Fi.

  下次你上飞机时,确保你有 Gogo Wi-Fi。

  So you can check social media more often.

  所以你可以更频繁地查看社交媒体。

  Justine was a Senior Director of Corporate Communications.

  Justine 是企业传播部的高级总监。

  So you all may be thinking this can't happen to you, but it happened to her.

  所以你们可能都认为这不会发生在你身上,但它发生在她身上。

  This is showing over time how Justine was searched on Google.

  随着时间的推移,这显示了 Justine 在 Google 上的搜索方式。

  Overnight her life was changed and she was fired from her dream job.

  一夜之间,她的生活发生了变化,她被梦寐以求的工作解雇了。

  So today we're going to talk to you about how one post can impact your life, how one post can ruin your life, how one post can make your life.

  所以今天我们要和你谈谈一篇文章如何影响你的生活,一篇文章如何毁掉你的生活,一篇文章如何成就你的生活。

  And first of course we are going to talk about how one post can impact your life.

  当然,首先我们要谈谈一篇文章如何影响你的生活。

  So what do we actually mean by one post can impact your life and why should you care go into the workplace?

  那么我们所说的一个职位会影响您的生活实际上是什么意思,您为什么要关心进入工作场所?

  We're going to go through a few stats from a Career Builder survey of over 2,000 current active hiring managers in the US.

  我们将通过 Career Builder 对美国 2,000 多名当前活跃的招聘经理进行的调查来了解一些统计数据。

  So to kick us off, more than half of hiring managers have found social media red flags as a reason to not extend you a job offer.

  因此,让我们开始吧,超过一半的招聘经理发现社交媒体危险信号是不给你提供工作机会的理由。

  So are you focusing on your resume, your cover letter, maybe that elusive personal recommendation, maybe your social media is hiding in the background and putting you in some hot water.

  那么你是否专注于你的简历、你的求职信,也许是难以捉摸的个人推荐,也许你的社交媒体隐藏在幕后,让你陷入困境。

  Let's say you make it through that gauntlet, you've dodged all the bullets, you've got the job, congratulations.

  假设您通过了挑战,躲过了所有的子弹,您得到了这份工作,恭喜。

  Are you safe?

  你安全吗?

  Afraid not.

  恐怕不行。

  Again, more than half of firms are using social media to research current employees.

  同样,超过一半的公司正在使用社交媒体来研究现有员工。

  But what does that actually mean?

  但这究竟意味着什么?

  Well, social media can take many forms.

  嗯,社交媒体可以有多种形式。

  It's a pretty loose term.

  这是一个相当宽松的术语。

  You may be thinking of your Instagram, your Facebook, of course, but think more than the medium blog post you liked.

  当然,您可能会想到您的 Instagram、您的 Facebook,但想的不仅仅是您喜欢的中型博客文章。

  That comment you made on a podcast or your LinkedIn profile.

  您在播客或您的 LinkedIn 个人资料上发表的评论。

  Social media can take many forms, and they can all affect you.

  社交媒体可以有多种形式,它们都可以影响你。

  But again, maybe you're thinking so what, my job's 9:00 to 5:00, it doesn't matter what I'm doing at the weekend, what I'm posting.

  但同样,也许您在想那又怎样,我的工作时间是 9:00 到 5:00,周末我在做什么、发布什么并不重要。

  Surely, it's a free country.

  当然,这是一个自由的国家。

  Well true, but more than a third of employers have disciplined or fired someone because of current social media activity.

  没错,但超过三分之一的雇主因为当前的社交媒体活动而对某人进行纪律处分或解雇。

  And these are not big celebrity showcase moments.

  这些都不是名人展示的重要时刻。

  These are everyday people doing everyday things, but you may be shocked that I've got them in trouble.

  这些都是每天做日常事情的普通人,但你可能会感到震惊,因为我让他们陷入困境。

  And Chimel walk you through some examples.

  Chimel 将向您展示一些示例。

  So you may be thinking now honestly Chris, I don't even like social media.

  所以你现在可能真的在想克里斯,我什至不喜欢社交媒体。

  Should I just delete everything?

  我应该删除所有内容吗?

  It's a nice idea.

  这是个好主意。

  But unfortunately, the worst number of all is 57% of firm's actually find it worse if you're invisible.

  但不幸的是,最糟糕的数字是 57% 的公司实际上认为,如果你是隐形的,情况会更糟。

  I know, so what should do?

  我知道,那该怎么办?

  Well, honestly before we get to the solutions, right now just think these are not small numbers.

  好吧,老实说,在我们找到解决方案之前,现在想想这些不是小数字。

  Clearly, your current employers, potential employers are very well vast in social media, and they suddenly use it to evaluate you in the hiring process, in your current reviews, and you could even be fight for it.

  很明显,你现在的雇主,潜在的雇主在社交媒体上非常广泛,他们突然用它来评估你在招聘过程中,在你当前的评论中,你甚至可能会为之而战。

  So right now Chin is going to walk us through some examples of how one post can truly ruin your career.

  所以现在 Chin 将向我们展示一些帖子如何真正毁掉你的职业生涯的例子。

  Now, you maybe wondering, okay, so I have to maintain a social media presence so that I'm not invisible, but this is just so risky.

  现在,你可能想知道,好吧,所以我必须保持在社交媒体上的存在,这样我才不会被忽视,但这太冒险了。

  What are some of the reflects that I should avoid?

  我应该避免哪些反射?

  I don't want to end up as one of the 34% who got fired or who got disciplined because of some social media effects.

  我不想成为 34% 的人中的一员,因为某些社交媒体的影响而被解雇或受到纪律处分。

  What are the things that I should look out for?

  我应该注意什么?

  So here I'm going to give you two real-life examples that will hopefully set you thinking.

  所以在这里我要给你两个现实生活中的例子,希望能引起你的思考。

  Here is an example of a picture posted by a social media user that got her fired.

  这是社交媒体用户发布的导致她被解雇的图片示例。

  Can anyone guess why?

  谁能猜出为什么?

  Drinking?

  喝?

  Right, okay, so there's actually no breaking of the law.

  好吧,所以实际上并没有违反法律。

  There's nothing clearly out of place except for this little detail over here.

  除了这里的这个小细节,没有什么明显不合适的地方。

  So the social media user had been to a cocktail party celebrating the closure of a major deal with a new client.

  因此,该社交媒体用户参加了庆祝与新客户完成一项重大交易的鸡尾酒会。

  The cocktail party was being held at the premises of the new client, and that's its logo you can see all there.

  鸡尾酒会在新客户的场地举行,那是你能看到的所有标志。

  And then she posted a picture on social media.

  然后她在社交媒体上发布了一张照片。

  But she posted it before the deal was meant to be announced.

  但她在交易本应宣布之前发布了它。

  Mm-hm.

  嗯嗯。

  In so doing, she breached confidentiality clauses and she got fired as a result.

  她这样做违反了保密条款,结果被解雇了。

  The big takeaway here is that you've got to be hyper-aware of everything that you're posting, check and recheck your post.

  这里最重要的一点是,您必须高度了解您发布的所有内容,检查并重新检查您的帖子。

  Especially pictures, make sure that everything in the foreground and the background are all appropriate before you hit that post button.

  尤其是图片,在点击发布按钮之前,请确保前景和背景中的所有内容都是合适的。

  Next example.

  下一个例子。

  This is Sheriff B J Roberts from Hampton, Virginia.

  我是来自弗吉尼亚州汉普顿的警长 B J 罗伯茨。

  In 2009, he fired a man named Bobby Bland and four of his co-workers from the sheriff's department.

  2009 年,他解雇了一名名叫鲍比·布兰德 (Bobby Bland) 的男子和他在治安部门的四名同事。

  Why?

  为什么?

  Because in 2009, when he was running for re-election, the five of them went to like the Facebook page of this major, Mr. Jim Davis, who was his main rival during the election campaign.

  因为在2009年他竞选连任的时候,他们五个人去点赞了这位少校的脸书专页,就是他竞选时的主要对手吉姆·戴维斯先生。

  So, it turns out Mr. Roberts won the election and he promptly fired the five of them.

  所以,事实证明罗伯茨先生赢得了选举,他立即解雇了他们中的五个人。

  Citing budgetary constraints, dissatisfaction with performance, and a general lack of harmony and efficiency in the sheriff's department.

  引用预算限制、对绩效的不满以及警长部门普遍缺乏和谐和效率。

  So, while you may not agree with what Mr. Roberts has done, the bigger takeaway here is that you make statements with your likes.

  因此,虽然您可能不同意罗伯茨先生所做的事情,但这里更大的收获是您可以与您的喜好一起发表声明。

  In the social media space, any activity that you perform can and will be construed as your personal statements of position and they can affect your career.

  在社交媒体空间中,您进行的任何活动都可以并且将被解释为您的个人立场声明,它们会影响您的职业生涯。

  So if your company or your prospective company are cautious, they are likely to have drawn up detailed social media guidelines to tell you to tell employees what they should or should not do on social media.

  因此,如果您的公司或您的准公司持谨慎态度,他们很可能已经制定了详细的社交媒体指南,告诉您告诉员工他们应该或不应该在社交媒体上做什么。

  So be sure to look up those guidelines and whether your company has them.

  因此,请务必查看这些准则以及您的公司是否有这些准则。

  And above all, remember that you make statements with your likes.

  最重要的是,请记住您是根据自己的喜好发表声明的。

  But it is not all gloom and doom.

  但这并不全是悲观和厄运。

  I will now hand over to Haley who will talk about how one post can also make your career.

  现在我将交给 Haley,她将谈谈一篇文章如何也能成就你的事业。

  So I will also share two examples of how a post can make your career.

  因此,我还将分享两个例子,说明帖子如何成就你的事业。

  How many people know who this is?

  有多少人知道这是谁?

  Yet not many people know that he was discovered on social media.

  然而,没有多少人知道他是在社交媒体上被发现的。

  In 2007, Justin Bieber took and shared one of his covers to another artist on YouTube.

  2007 年,贾斯汀·比伯 (Justin Bieber) 在 YouTube 上将他的翻唱作品分享给另一位艺术家。

  His manager was scrolling through YouTube looking at different videos and came across this video.

  他的经理在 YouTube 上滚动查看不同的视频,偶然发现了这个视频。

  He was so impressed with Justin's voice.

  贾斯汀的声音给他留下了深刻的印象。

  He spent the rest of the day going through the rest of the content that Justin had shared on YouTube and fell in love.

  那天剩下的时间里,他浏览了 Justin 在 YouTube 上分享并坠入爱河的其他内容。

  He quickly set up a meeting between Justin Bieber and Usher, and the rest was history.

  他很快安排了贾斯汀比伯和亚瑟小子之间的会面,剩下的就是历史了。

  This is the highlight the fact that sharing your interest and your passions on social media can help make a career that you're not even trying to have yet.

  这是一个突出的事实,即在社交媒体上分享您的兴趣和激情可以帮助您从事您甚至还没有尝试过的职业。

  You never know who your audience is, and who's out there looking for a new opportunity for you.

  你永远不知道你的听众是谁,谁在外面为你寻找新的机会。

  However, if you are thinking, I don't have any artistic talent or something that I can showcase on social media, there is other ways to also make your career.

  但是,如果你在想,我没有任何艺术天赋或我可以在社交媒体上展示的东西,还有其他方法也可以成就你的事业。

  Suzanne had follow a VP of a large company multiple years ago.

  苏珊娜多年前跟随了一家大公司的副总裁。

  She started liking some of the posts that he made, responding to his interactions, really interesting and like his company and the strategies that he was putting in place.

  她开始喜欢他发表的一些帖子,回应他的互动,非常有趣,并且喜欢他的公司和他正在实施的策略。

  This one tweet set her off on a completely new trajectory.

  这条推文让她走上了一条全新的轨迹。

  He had just mentioned the fact that he had started yamming, yammering on a social media platform.

  他刚才说了,他开始吐槽了,在一个社交媒体平台上吐槽。

  However, while everyone else was praising the fact of him taking this new step, she made the interesting comment of, she's tried this before and not everyone yams.

  然而,当其他人都在称赞他迈出这一新步骤时,她却发表了有趣的评论,她以前试过这个,但并不是每个人都同意。

  He was interested in how honest she was, and started to look more into her background.

  他对她的诚实程度很感兴趣,并开始更多地了解她的背景。

  He looked through her social media, tweets, and saw that she was really good at bringing community together.

  他浏览了她的社交媒体和推文,发现她真的很擅长将社区凝聚在一起。

  He offered her a job as Director of Community Engagement, and the rest was history.

  他给了她一份社区参与总监的工作,剩下的就是历史了。

  This highlights that even if it's not content that you're creating, but just responding to other people's content that you're passionate about can highlight opportunities to get involved in a career that you otherwise would not have dreamed of.

  这突出表明,即使它不是您正在创建的内容,但只是回应您热衷的其他人的内容,也可以突出显示您参与您原本不会梦想的职业的机会。

  So now Chris is going to highlight some of the takeaways.

  所以现在克里斯要强调一些要点。

  So as Haley and Chin pass out our handout, if we should see five key takeaways as long as a social media checklist, which will encourage you to use this thanksgiving to scrub.

  因此,当 Haley 和 Chin 分发我们的讲义时,如果我们看到五个关键要点和社交媒体清单一样长,这将鼓励您使用这个感恩节来擦洗。

  So, make sure everything online is relevant how you want to be seen.

  因此,请确保网上的所有内容都与您希望看到的方式相关。

  But the key takeaways, one, have a social media presence, as we've discussed, being invisible is not a solution here.

  但关键要点,一,有社交媒体存在,正如我们所讨论的,隐身并不是解决方案。

  Two, be hyper-aware of everything you post even the smallest background detail can really make a break.

  第二,对你发布的所有内容保持高度警惕,即使是最小的背景细节也能真正带来突破。

  Number three, you really make statements with your likes.

  第三,你真的用你喜欢的东西发表声明。

  It's important to be intentional about everything you like and share online.

  重要的是要有意识地对待你喜欢的一切并在线分享。

  Number four, post content that really showcases your talent.

  第四,发布真正展示你才华的内容。

  You'd be surprised how far this can take you.

  你会惊讶于这能带你走多远。

  And number five, simply strike up conversations about your interests.

  第五,简单地开始谈论你的兴趣。

  You really have no idea where they can lead to.

  你真的不知道它们会通向哪里。

  So remember, one post can impact your career, one post could make your career and one post can ruin your career.

  所以请记住,一个帖子可以影响你的职业生涯,一个帖子可以成就你的职业生涯,一个帖子可以毁掉你的职业生涯。

  We're now open for questions.

  我们现在开放提问。

  举报/反馈